Updates and such..... No word back from any publishers concerning Quiet Desperation, it may end up going through Kickstarter....sigh. On a more upbeat note, I just submitted my sketchbook, Putrid Glop The Lackadaisical Sketches of Doodles Handlon to Kindle Direct Publishing and it should be available for purchase within a few days. I'll let you know when it's up. If you want to see some of the stuff contained within the pages of the book you can check out the sketches pages on this website! The physical copies will be available in paperback ($14.99) and in hardback ($19.99). Since I am a pop culture junkie the sketchbook is filled with pop culture drawings and other random things that enter my scattered mind. Any profit that I make from the sketchbooks will go towards publishing Quiet Desperation if it comes to that.
Here are some updates:
1. I put in four submissions to different publishers concerning Quiet Desperation and I have only heard back from one and it was a rejection. A nice rejection but one nonetheless.
2. I put out feelers to some comic creators that I admire and have some connection to (no matter how small lol) for back cover blurbs and I haven't heard back from any of them yet.
3. I'm a little impatient and possess very little self-confident but I don't think Quiet Desperation will be published by a major company so it may be headed for Kickstarter or another crowd funding site. I'm giving it until the end of March at the latest to hear something back.
4. I'm also working on a few other things; the 6th issue of Little Doodles which will be a special holiday issue which I guess I have time to finish, a sketchbook which may be an incentive for the Quiet Desperation Kickstarter, and another book that I'm not quiet ready to talk about yet.
5. Speaking of sketches, check out the new Sketch page on this very website to see some of my sketches!
6. Finally, in association with FIGID Press (www.figidpress.com), there are a few things coming out this year that I contributed to. If you need to know more please visit the FIGID Press site. I would say more but it's not really my place to do so.
That's it kids. If you need me I'll be busy trying to finish all of this stuff.
I currently have two submissions in for Quiet Desperation. One with Drawn and Quarterly and one with Fantagraphics. I am looking for more publishers to send submissions. Meanwhile I am working on the Christmas comic which I have already completed several pages for and will more than likely be a TPB or, at least, a really big book. I will continue to post updates as things progress.
I've been drawing some drolleries (funny drawings from the margins of old illustrated manuscripts) for fun between other projects. I may put them together to form a book of some kind.
This is something that I probably should have included in Quiet Desperation but I just rediscovered it while going through my vast amounts of ephemera. This is a redrawing of the never finished original. The concept for this was created while at an amusement park with my Uncle Anthony and one of my cousins. If I had finished this it would have had a map and other information inside for an amusement park dedicated to the cruel way humans have treated one another for the 300,000 years we have been in existence. It was originally supposed to appear in a comic I made many years ago but I never finished it. I'm still trying to get Quiet Desperation published and will be keeping everyone updated.
Already working hard on the next comic! At the moment this is the tentative cover. Let me know what you think.
Happy Holidays everyone! I'm taking a small break until after the holidays to go all in on trying to get Quiet Desperation printed. While I "relax" I've decided to work on a Christmas Comic that I hope to have completed by next Christmas. I'll share progress as I go along.
Today I finished the initial work on Quiet Desperation. Now I edit it and work on getting it published. I've decided to at least attempt to get a publisher interested before doing a Kickstarter or other crowd funding
site. If all else fails you will be seeing a Kickstarter for the book. I would also like to ask any artist friends who have contacts or information I could use towards my goal to please contact me. Thank you in advance for any advice or information you can share. Much love to everyone and I hope everyone has a great holiday season.
I'm nearing the end of the work on Quiet Desperation. I took a small detour to draw a short comic for Cohesion Comics which is a joint venture I do with the main man, John Graham of FIGID Press. On that note, there is something coming soon from Cohesion Comics so watch for that. Today, for Quiet Desperation, I drew the great one, Jackie Gleason, so I've got that going for me. I'm now well past the deadline I set for myself to finish Quiet Desperation but I'm determined to get it done. I'm hoping to get the final product published by a big publishing company but that may be a pipe dream. We'll see.